I have finally realized why it is that I am so taken with Brian Mclarens writing. I have pick up another book, having decided to put down McLaren for a time, I am now reading a book entitled, Becoming Conversant with the Emergent Church, by D.A. Carson. In the first chapter Carson appraises Mclaren's thinking. towards the end of the section Carson writes,
"while most leaders of the emergent movement set up a relatively simple antithesis-namely, modernism is bad and postmodernism is good-McLaren is careful in this piece to avoid the obious trap: many forms of postmodern thought do in fact lead to some kind of religious relativism, and McLaren knows that for the Christian that is not an option. He clearly wants to steer a course between absolutism and relativism, and he is more careful on this point than some of his peers." Carson (35)
I took the liberty of bolding the part that expresses my sentiment. I became a Christian in a semi charismatic church, the theology didn't quite satisfy me so I went conservative in my theology. However, I have on more than one occasion missed the passion and energy of the little church where I met Jesus, and have since longed for some sort of Balance between the two. I think that is why I have come to appreciate McLaren so much, Because he, along with others, is seeking to find that balance. though I freely admit, he does push the envelope at times. But then again, I am hardly conventional...
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Carsen makes some exceptional points in his book. One caution about Carson, which I embrace, is that he possibly does to McLaren what he blames McLaren doing to others...you'll get a sense of this as you get into "Becoming Conversant..."
good balance to McLaren though.
Post a Comment